In the nineteenth century Chapel members helped
found the Mechanics Institute; the Leicester Literary
and Philosophical Society and the Leicestershire
In the twentieth century Joseph
Fielding Johnson, a member of the congregation,
was a major benefactor of University College,
now the University of Leicester,
and the main administrative block (which had been
the old ‘County Lunatic Asylum’!)
is now named after him.
The Gimson Committee Room at the University recognises
the gift of Gimson furniture to the University
by Christopher Gimson, also associated
with the congregation. Another member, Edwin
Clephan, has a building at De Montfort
University named after him.
Ministers to the congregation included a number
of distinguished men. Revd. Charles
Berry, together with the leading members
of his congregation, played a major part in
the movement for political reform in the town
during the early nineteenth century.
The first seven mayors of the town following
municipal reform in 1835 were members of the
Chapel and as a result it became known locally
as ‘The Mayor’s Nest’.
Today a number of members of the congregation
are very active in public and political life.